Thursday, April 16, 2015

Frame Making

Frame making
Yesterday, I created a frame for a bicycle seat using a hand wire bender. This involves using the simple ideas of torque and reaction forces to create bends in 1/4" x 6' hot rolled steel wire. The end product was is shown in the pictures below.

I first started to practice with this device. As you can see, s simple stock bar of steel has been bent just to see how it would look.
 Next, I tried bending a bicycle frame from a pieces of 3/16" chromed steel. I managed to get about a quarter of the whole frame done. This helped more toward bending in 3 planes. The pictures below show the seat I was using as a reference.
Eventually, I managed to use the 1/4" steel wire. I created a seat frame that allows an outer perimiter as well as an inner support.
This is the final product. I used about 5 feet of the wire to make this. The break will have to be welded together. I believe this is pretty good for my first time using this device.

I am hoping to make a video at 10x speed to show the process of making a more complex figure.


No comments:

Post a Comment